Education and Professional Background
- Davidson College, B.A.
- University of Georgia, J.D., Cum Laude
- Notes Editor, Georgia Law Review
- Admitted to practice: Georgia, South Carolina
Activities and Affiliations
- Bar Memberships: State Bar of Georgia; State Bar of South Carolina; Savannah Bar Association
- Chairman, Real Property Law Section, State Bar of Georgia (2014-2015); Past Chair of Ethics Committee; Member, Task Force on Best Practices for Closing Attorneys in Georgia
- Current Board of Directors: Home Builders Association of Greater Savannah; Bryan County Home Builders Association; Habitat for Humanity of Georgia; Operation Hero House, Inc.; The Foundation for Priestly Vocations, Inc.;Secretary/Treasurer, L’Alliance de Française
- Savannah/Hilton Head Commercial Council of Realtors; Savannah Area Realtors
- Attorney: The Coastal Empire Habitat for Humanity
- Past Attorney: Savannah Board of Realtors; Savannah Multi-List Corporation
Presentations and Publications
- “Protecting Property Owners from Failed Contractors” (Business in Savannah, 2015)
- Organizer and Host, 2014 Real Property Law Institute (three-day commercial and residential real estate seminar)
- “Who Protects Me,” Attorney/Client relationships in Residential Closings, Article, (Savannah Morning News, 2013)
- “UPL Update,” Article, (Real Property Law Section Newsletter, 2013)
- “The Fight Against the Unauthorized Practice of Law- Where are We and Where are We Headed,” Speaker, (2013 Real Property Law Institute)
- “Confusion Regarding Witness Only Closings,” (Presentation to Formal Advisory Opinion Board of State Bar of Georgia, 2012)
- Organizer and Host, Commercial Real Estate Seminar, 2012
- “The Mystery of Value,” Calculation of Fair Market Value in a Weak Market, Article (Savannah Morning News, 2011)
- “Witness Only Closings,” (Residential Real Estate Seminar, 2011)
- “Different State Approaches to the Residential Real Estate Closing,” Panel Moderator, (Real Property Law Institute, 2011)
- “Ethics and UPL – Witness Only Closings and More,” (Real Property Law Institute, 2011)
- “Corporate Authorization,” Speaker, (Title Standards Seminar, 2011)
- “HOA Officers and Directors Duties and Liabilities,” Speaker (2010)
- “Unauthorized Practice of Law,” Speaker (2009)
- “Short Sales and Realtor Liability,” Speaker (2009)
- “Fair Housing Act for Realtors,” Speaker (2009)
- “Issues in Troubled Developments for Lenders,” Speaker (2008)
- “Drafting and Managing the Unbreakable Sales Contract,” (Real Property Law Institute, 2008)
Developments in the Savannah area Brannen has been involved with:
- Savannah River Landing
- New Hampstead
- Savannah Quarters
- Berwick Plantation
Rob Brannen specializes in real estate law. A significant amount of his work involves the acquisition, financing, and development of property for commercial and residential development, including entitlements, and commercial loan transactions. He drafts documents needed to create property owners and condominium associations, and assists in the management of those associations. As an agent for First American Title Insurance Company and Chicago Title Insurance Company, Brannen has also insured title to complex commercial properties throughout south Georgia and South Carolina. In recent years, he has spent a lot of his time assisting lenders and developers with troubled assets where his development experience has allowed him to solve complex development issues.
On the residential real estate side, Brannen handles home closings for sellers, buyers, builders, and lenders. As past attorney for the Savannah Board of Realtors and the Savannah Multi-List Corporation, he understands the issues and challenges facing realtors.
Brannen is the 2014-2015 chairman of the Executive Committee of the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and chair of the 2014 Real Property Law Institute. He has worked extensively for the Ethics Committee of the Real Property Law Section on questions related to the professional and ethical responsibilities of closing attorneys. He participated in the drafting of a recently approved formal advisory opinion on witness-only closings, the drafting of the Residential Real Estate Closing Procedures Standards, the drafting of the Trust Accounting Handbook for Georgia Real Estate Closing Attorneys, and various legislative initiatives. Brannen currently serves on a task force appointed by the president of the State Bar of Georgia to address the ethical responsibilities of Georgia lawyers.
Brannen leads an active lifestyle outside Bouhan Falligant. As a member of the Forest City Gun Club, he enjoys hunting and training his Boykin Spaniel, and plays golf to relax. Brannen played in the defensive secondary for Davidson College’s football team and is an avid Georgia Bulldogs fan. He has been a youth soccer coach for more than 15 years and coached the first Savannah Country Day Lower School’s football team. Brannen has been married for 25 years to his wife Colleen and they have four children.